Things to do
The area offers a wealth of walks, catering for the leisurely wanderer to the more taxing trek for the ardent enthusiastic walker. There are leisurely walks from the doorstep along winding lanes or public footpaths through some of the finest scenery in the country. Many of the local attractions offer informative and leisurely walks through their grounds where an abundance of wildlife can be seen. There are walks for the hardened walker ranging from easy though moderately strenuous to the difficult, over dales or moors where the spectacular scenery can be enjoyed. Lest we forget, most of these walks have hostelries that cater for all. Each cottage has a selection of material featuring walks to suit everyone.
Easy touring is available from the doorstep through a selection of quiet country lanes. Longer runs from the cottages are available and many attractions can be found within a 20 mile ride. There are a number of tracks available for the mountain bike and “extreme” cyclist.
The following list is a sample of attractions in the area> the list is by no means exhaustive.
- Thorpe Perrow – Arboretum, Woodland Gardens, Bird of prey and Mammal Centre. Contact details www.thorpperrow.com, phone 01677 425323
- Wensleydale Creamery - Traditional cheese making. Contact details www.wensleydale.co.uk, phone 01969 667664
- Forbidden Corner - A labyrinth of chambers, follies and surprises in a garden. Contact details www.forbiddencorner.co.uk, phone 01969 640638
- Black Sheep Brewery - The Yorkshire beer exlierience. Contact details www.blacksheepbrewery.co.uk, phone 01765 680101
- Theakstones of Masham - Discover the story behind Old Peculiar. Contact details www.theakstons.co.uk, phone 01765 680000
- Lightwater Valley - The ultimate adventure park. Contact details www.lightwatervalley.co.uk, phone 08717 200011
- Eden Camp - Modern history theme museum. Contact details www.edencamp.co.uk, phone 01653 697777
- Ariel Extreme - High rope adventure. Contact details www.arielextreme.co.uk, phone 08456 521736
- Wensleydale Railway - Scenic heritage railway. Contact details www.wensleydalerailway.com, phone 08454 505474
- Houses castles and Gardens - A selection of approximately 40 houses castles and gardens in Yorkshire. Contact details www.castlesandgardens.co.uk, phone 01759 373628
- Harrogate - Discover Harlow Carr Gardens including Bettys, Royal pump Rooms, Valley Gardens and more. Contact details www.yorkshire.com/harrogate, phone 01423 537300
- Bedale - Heritage trail. Contact details www.visitbedale.com, phone 01677 424604
- Ripon - Discover Ripon cathedral, museums and gardens. Contact details www.yorkshire.com/ripon
- Knaresborough - Beautiful market town with castle and stunning views over viaduct. Contact details www.yorkshire.com/knaresborough,
- Thirsk - Discover Thirsk the world of James Herriot and museum. Contact details www.visitthirsk.com, phone 01845 522755
- York Minster - Visit the inspiring Minster and the lovely city of York. Contact details www.yorkminster.org, phone 01904 557216
- Beamish - The Living Museum. Contact details www.beamish.org, phone 01913 704000
- Yorkshire Wild Life Trust - Wild places in North Yorkshire. Contact details www.ywt.org.uk, phone 01904 659570
- Churches - Historic churches in the Northern Dales. Contact details www.yorkshirechurches.com
- Racing - Enjoy the varied excitement of race going. Contact details www.goracing.co.uk
- Battlefields and History - Discover Yorkshire’s battlefields. Contact details www.yorkshire.com/battlefields
- Yorkshire Dales National park - Discover the Yorkshire Dales varied landscape. Contact details www.yorkshiredales.org
- National Trust - What will you do today? Contact details www.nationaltrust.org.uk/yorkshire
Remember this list is by no means exhaustive and there are more brochures available in all the cottages. Often the fun can be happening across little gems by accident to make the best memories.
We recognise that what makes a good day or evening experience is very much a choice for the individual. To help make the choices we have added a link here to some comments left by our customers after their visit to some of the local attractions.